Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Buyer Beware: Short-term Warranties

During my router set-up, I learned about short-term warranties and the privileges they afford.

The router came with a thirty day warranty. Within that timeframe, I apparently could have called the company as often as I liked to ask for help with set-up and the product. Also, were there to have been any serious product failure, I would have been able to return it.

I purchased my router last April. I started the set-up process shortly after purchase but did not complete it. I started by trying to get all the necessary information before embarking on the process. I had one initial, fruitless conversation with my ISP and planned to folow-up. Well, I did not follow-up until 5 months later. In the meantime, I forfeited the privileges accorded by the short-term warranty: free customer support.

Even though the warranty had expired, the company granted me one free inquiry. I used my initial call to garner the requisite information. But when I stumbled again in the set-up, I called back. This time there would be a charge for the support services. I was quoted a half-hour rate ($36.00) or an unlimited rate for 6 months of all types of computing support ($65). Unsure whether the problem could be resolved in an half-hour, I opted for the unlimited service. The technician was helpful and I plan to see how helpful they will be for random inquiries.

So lessons learned: Use products immediately so, if there is a warranty, you do not forfeit your privileges unwittingly. Also if one needs to return an item, it usually has to be returned within a month.

Best, Laura

No comments: