Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Technology and Service

I lapsed on my regular tech blogging at the end of September because I was away on a trip. I thought I'd get on-line during the trip but in the end jet lag, touring fatigue and the simple desire to not break the magic spell of being truly away kept me from my daily blog.

My family and I traveled to Vienna to celebrate my folks 50th wedding anniversary. It was the first time I traveled to a place where I did not speak or even understand the language. All the staff spoke English fluently as well as several other languages. While at the desk engaging with the staff, it became instantly apparent I was not a German speaker and staff always graciously spoke English. What puzzled me however is the staff greeting me straight away in English and by name when I placed a phone call to the front desk. Granted we were staying at a Marriot hotel, an American chain, the clientele included German speakers as well as myriad of other language speakers, so it was not logical to address all guests in English even if it has become the international language.

It finally dawned on me, when the phone rang at the front desk, some form of caller id must pop up not only with my name but with language of address. In their effort to provide good service, the hotel has used this caller-style id technology to log critical information to help staff offer the best service possible to its guests. It was a service I appreciated.

I have been trying to think of other encounters with technology while on the ground in Vienna and I can't immediately think of one.

Of course these days in travel, interacting with technology is part and parcel of the experience. For instance, flying has become completely tech interactive. One can book their flights on-line, choose seats and meals, print boarding passes and the like. On can even sign on to services that alert passengers of flight status and delays.

Information is communicated rapidly and efficiently. For the one-hour layover in Paris, we needed wheelchair assistance to ferry my mom from one-gate to another. At the gate, a wheelchair assitant was there at the ready. Of course in France, where a nice balance between efficiency and mayhem reign, each ferrying experience was subject to wildly various styles of interpretation. In the end however the essential was communicated and the job got done.

-Laura D

No comments: