Thursday, September 13, 2007

Modest (actually ridiculously easy) challenges

Hi Folks,

I set myself a couple of challenges today. In the end the tasks were far easier than I had expected.
The two tasks were 1) burn music on a CD and 2) program someone's phone number in my cell phone. Two obviously mundane tasks that everyone but me does on a regular basis.

There are a few reasons why these seemed like reasonable challenges to undertake today.

Burn a CD
In the past, I simply did not have ready access to the technology to burn a CD. While my last computer had a CD drive, it did not have a CD burner. My first experience trying to burn a CD was frustrating because I had not realized the system lacked the key burning function. So I spent quite some time uploading music to iTunes and repeatedly trying to "burn" a CD. I discovered I could not complete the task. The problem at that time was that the lack of the "burn" function was not clearly communicated to me. The system kept feigning transfer of files but in the end the disc remained blank. The experience was frustrating because I had assumed wrongly I had done something wrong. The tech support person had to explain to me why I had not succeeded. Despite the a-ha moment, this previous difficult experience left me with the impression that burning a CD could potentially be complicated. It is funny how misguided impressions can last.
Today, I learned it was easy as most functions are on a Mac. I had opened iTunes and then popped the disc in. A dialog box popped up asking me what application I wanted. I chose itunes even though I had already opened the application. Then a new dialog box popped up telling me how to burn a playlist from iTunes. The disc was automatically initialized and the music transferred quickly. The computer was smart: the sheer act of popping a disc into the computer triggers the proper prompts to the user. It could not have been easier.
Another reason I failed to pursue this task in the past is that I simply lacked the time for such tasks. The task was not essential to my daily work life and I did not have any leisure time that afforded meaningful exploration of new things that were not within my immedaite sphere of tech access. I simply did not wish to make the effort.
So, in brief, time, simplicity and direct access to the technology are key factors as to whether some individuals adopt it.

Program a phone number into a cell phone

Yesterday, I bumped into a friend . As she was giving me her new cell phone number, I was trying to find a pen to jot it down. So she said "Why don't you program it into your phone?" I had to confess to her that I did not know how to do it. Again, the reason I am so unfamiliar with my cell phone's functions is that I hardly have an opportunity to use it: unless one lives in Brattleboro, the chances of having reliable service are close to nil. Again, easy and ready access to technology facilitates adoption and time allows for broadening of skill in use. Plus the phone I have was a gift and actually has more functionality than I really care for.

In the end the task was straighforward. As I worked through the task, I learned to cultivate an appreciation for the functions and their potential. It only took a few minutes.

Tomorrow's challenge: learn to use my iPod.

Your slow adaptor,
Laura D

No comments: